Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - "Who Built The Moon?"


Ok, OK, so I've always been very wary going into side projects.  They're always just so hit and miss, and almost never like the band, they've originally stemmed from.  I've always been even warier going into side projects stemming from band's that hit close to my heart, like Oasis!  That's where Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds come in, featuring, of course, Noel Gallagher of Oasis fame.  So, that being said, the band's 2011 self-titled debut was underwhelming.  There were a solid handful of good tunes here, like "Everybody's On The Run", "AKA...Broken Arrow", and "If I Had A Gun...".  But a lot of these deep cuts quite frankly pretty awkward.  Noel often went for a very hip, current Indie sound that he sounded like he was trying way too hard to fit into, and I really never expected to hear much more from this offshoot band.  However, High Flying Birds next album, 2015's "Chasing Yesterday" was a HUGE step up.  Noel seemed to drop all the gimmicks here and was just working with a sound that you could tell he was so much more comfortable with.  The result, yes indeed often sounded like Oasis spin-off tracks.  But tracks like "The Mexican", "The Dying of the Light", and "In The Heat Of The Moment" were pleasant Alternative Rock tunes.  I don't think there was a single second on here that showed Noel really pushing any boundaries.  But it was indeed very pleasant to listen to.  Now, Noel is seriously taking High Flying Birds in a totally new direction and that's become clear by these opening singles.  Some of them I'm actually really excited by, some I'm sort of hoping will grow on me more.  Let's chat about this new High Flying Birds album!

This album starts off with “Fort Knox”, which when I heard outside of the context of the album, it certainly confused me.  Now, I do like the real sense of urgency this one brings to the table, it really makes me feel like Noel has a purpose this time around.  The instrumentals do all sound solid and the production is very glamorous as you would expect.  Now, as far as the vocals and Noel’s lyrics go on this one, I’m really on the fence.  Mostly because I feel like this track should either have been a full instrumental.  But no, we get these random short bursts of vocals that quite frankly seem a little incomplete.  I still think this one is alright, but this was released as a damn single, and as far as that goes this misses the mark. In the album’s context, it leads us into the album nicely, but outside of that, this is a little half-assed.   On the other hand, “Holy Mountain” really took me by surprise.  Now, this may be one of the most commercial and Pop-Oriented rock tunes I’ve heard all year.  But I’ll be damned if Noel can write a catchy hook.  This track is really something special, having a strong groove that honestly has me up and swaying around.  It’s groovy, sort of psychedelic, and has that old school tinge to it that I once went nuts for with Oasis.  Noel sounds completely rejuvenated and full of energy for once, which is really nice to hear.  Not to mention, I just love how punchy this it.  While the production on “Holy Mountain” does remain squeaky clean, this is a great tune.  Noel once again seems to have a major purpose.   The very punchy, cleanly produced tunes continue with “Keep On Reaching”.  I love just how bluesy this is, and just how classy these group choruses come off.  It almost has a Gospel or Soul undertone, which comes off really nicely.  Noel continues to have so much energy which I haven’t been able to say in years, we’re only a few tracks in and this is easily the most youthful he’s sounded since the glory days of Oasis.  “Keep On Reaching” also has a very whimsical tone to it which is really nice.  Now, I don’t really completely get the conceptual theme of this album, and the little I do get is bizarre let me tell you.  But it gives this album a purpose that Noel hasn’t had in years, and that makes me happy.  This album continues to have a very whimsical and almost Psychedelic feel with “It’s A Beautiful World”.  I absolutely love Noel’s very smokey vocals on this one, but it’s more than that.  This track just comes off so vast and wide sounding, I haven’t heard Noel within this much of a free atmosphere seemingly in forever.  Now, I’m not really that into some of the vocal effects on the chorus, I think there are a few times on this track that Noel is just trying a little too hard to be spacey.  But I still think Noel can seriously write an unbelievably catchy hook.  So far, outside of that hit-or-miss intro, this album has been stunning and invigorating for Noel.  I have no idea where the story is going, but this is still wonderful.


 
    “She Taught Me How To Fly” continues on with the very hazy, Psychedelic vibes of this album.  This one is a little less punchy and more laid back, and to be honest, this is sort of a down point in the album for me.  It’s just a little too bizarre, with one too many effects here and there, and more of a slightly unfocused atmosphere.  BUT, Noel does combat that nicely with writing one of the catchier tunes here, and his performance is still heartfelt and incredibly passionate.  I mean, this album really reinventing anything for Noel?  Absolutely not, far from it.  But I honestly can’t remember the last time I heard Noel more comfortable with what he was performing.  It’s sweet and heartfelt, and while I do wish the instrumental was a little more focused, “She Taught Me How To Fly” really isn’t bad.  “Be Careful What You Wish For” on the other hand has a more stripped down bluesy sound, and man is it ever cool.  I love the very smokey vibe to this one, and while this instrumental may just be the most straightforward here, it’s focused.   Noel’s performance on this one really knocks it out of the park, easily being the coolest and most refreshing vocal performances I’ve heard from him in ages.  The very hazy feel to this album continues, and there are certainly still plenty of psychedelic influences floating through the background as well as some seriously solid backing vocals.  As far as the concept of this album goes, I’m still just about as anyone can be.  But for a downtrodden, bluesy track, “Be Careful What You Wish For” is killer.  But after just how dreary that last one was, “Black & White Sunshine” is just the tune I wanted to hear.  This one is punchy and energetic, and almost sounds like a really decent lost, Oasis tune.  The instrumentals on this one are stunning, and Noel’s booming performance is just tugging at my heartstrings.  I had no idea that some Sci-Fi Psych epic was the answer to getting Noel’s career back on track and producing tunes that see complete, but whatever works man.  “Black & White Sunshine” is a joyous and incredible tune, and I hope we hear more like this in the future.  Now, I don’t really have anything bad to say about "Interlude (Wednesday Part 1)”.  This is a smooth acoustic interlude, and because it’s 2-minutes long it actually goes somewhere.  Now yes, it does sound like a bizarre carbon copy of Eminem’s “Stan”, but I don’t mind it.  It’s sweet, and while it doesn’t really advance the plot, it’s pleasant to listen to. 



    “If Love is the Law” brings us into this album’s final leg.  These strangely joyous and upbeat tunes continue to be really something special, let me tell you, mostly because it just gives Noel so much life.  It’s something he’s lacked the last few years, and it’s great to hear.  I love just how vibrant the instrumental is here, and just how gigantic and anthemic the chorus comes off.  Once again, the concept of this album seems to be getting more bizarre by the minute, but whatever works for you Noel.  Not to mention, there are so many great genres clashing on this one in such a vibrant way, it’s wonderful honestly.  Then we have “The Man Who Built The Moon”, which is a monolithic, slow and heavy tune out of nowhere.  It’s completely over the top, but it’s just the sort of big risk I don’t mind hearing.  Noel’s once again Bluesy performance brings this one down a few notches though.  I love just how melodic these verses and chorus come off, and just how dreary this one is.  But it still remains pretty damn catchy.  “The Man Who Built The Moon” is a little goofy, and if this ties in with the narrative I’m completely lost at this point.  But, this is still a really solid tune and is a really interesting late album surprise.  This album ends off with "End Credits (Wednesday Part 2)”, and sadly this one really doesn’t come off as pleasant as the album’s first instrumental interlude.  It’s still pleasurable to listen to, and it’s sweet and breezy.  But they really just took that other interlude and completely rehashed it.  I’m just a little let down by this finale sadly.  Overall though, this is a really solid late-career album from Noel, showing he has a lot left in the tank. 

Rating: 7.9/10

Give A Listen To: “Holy Mountain”, “If Love Is The Law”, “Be Careful What You Wish For”, “Black & White Sunshine”

Genre: Alternative Rock / Psychedelic Rock

Overall Thoughts: I'll be honest, I thought this was going to be just another toss-away album showing Noel trying to desperately crawl his way back into the limelight.  But to be honest, this is a bold collection of songs that show Noel getting into brave new territory.  While the concept behind this album is a little wonky and hard to follow, it's given Noel the purpose that his last two records completely lacked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment